To be eligible for selection, each applicant must:
- Be nominated either by self-nomination providing two references, or by a leader of Florida agriculture, natural resources, and/or related areas.
- Be at least 25 years of age.
- Be a resident of Florida for one year at the time of application date deadline.
- Earn a substantial percentage of his/her livelihood from Florida agriculture, natural resources or related areas.
- Demonstrate strong leadership potential.
- Nominations for Class XII are expected to open for in Spring 2023.
- Each nominee is screened for the minimum selection criteria as listed above. Eligible nominees are contacted and encouraged to complete an online application.
- All qualified applicants are required to attend one regional selection seminar for further orientation. Spouses and significant others are strongly encouraged to attend the selection seminars.
- Additional screening information will be required from the applicant during the selection seminars.
- Selection seminars will take place in Summer 2023 at various locations throughout the state.
- Each semi-finalist may receive a personal interview.
- References will be contacted.
- Based on the pool of semi-finalists, reasonable representation within each class will be sought from the standpoint of geographical location, age, and diversity of Florida agriculture, natural resources and related areas.
- Up to 30 individuals will be invited to participate in each class.
- To become a participant, each invitee must provide both verbal and written acceptance by a designated date.
Participant Selection Criteria
Participants are selected based upon the following criteria:
- Each applicant must demonstrate ability to be away from his/her enterprise for the necessary amounts of time (approximately 55 days over 22 months).
- The applicant must provide written concurrence of his/her enterprise, business associate(s), or employer.
- Each candidate will be evaluated on evidence of demonstrated leadership qualities plus potential qualities as evidenced by community, state, national, international levels of involvement, or other activities as shown on the application.
- Each candidate will be evaluated in terms of the applicant’s possible (probable) contribution to Florida agriculture, natural resources, and/or related areas through growth experiences gained from the program.
- The candidate will be evaluated on evidence that the nature and scope of his/her concerns range beyond self-interest and/or narrow perspectives.
- Each candidate will be evaluated in terms of his/her likelihood to grow as an individual during the two-year experience.
- The applicant’s character, reputation and personal life must be of high quality and reflect potential leadership capability.
- The applicant must be fully committed to participate in all of the study/travel seminars.
- No specific academic achievement in terms of high school or college training is required for participation.
- Reasonable representation within each class will be sought from the standpoint of geographical location, range of age, and diversity of Florida agriculture, natural resources, and/or related areas.
- The candidate’s application responses must show logic and breadth of thought as well as sincerity.
- An applicant not selected for a previous class must be renominated and complete an application for the upcoming class.
- Applications from spouses or brothers/sisters will not be accepted for the same class.
- Applications will be returned from close relatives for a decision of which one will apply for the upcoming class.
- All persons are considered without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, or disability.